Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Lunchtime. Rambling. Tuesday.

So - I'm eating my lunch with a baby spoon today as our office does not keep utensils around and it was the only thing I can find. Sadly - chili does not lend itself to ladylike behavior when eaten with fingers.

It occurs to me that the maraschino cherry - a slightly hot topic of late - would fit quite well in a baby spoon...and in a manhattan...but I digress.

We started putting the tree up last night and it made me think of my mother who had great affection for all disgusting food products of the 70's.

To that end I bring you...

Horrifying "foods" and "beverages" of the 70's that are qualified as excellent by my befuddled parents.
Hey Brotherman - feel free to play along!

1.) Deviled Ham

2.) Port Wine Cheese Spread

3.) Raw Cauliflower (okay - probably not just 70's related, but I can't shake the association)

4.) Vienna Sausages

5.) Canned Asparagus (see "Raw Cauliflower")

6.) The Harvey Wallbanger

7.) Blue Nun

8.) Gherkins/ Pistachio Flavored Instant Pudding (tie)

9.) Rumaki

10.) Creme de Menthe

I can't that the universe for much, but I can thank it for making me a halfway decent cook given the history here. I've got that going for me, which is nice.

2 comments:

Chertiozhnik said...

The cheese food group...

Cauliflower Cheese
Macaroni Cheese
[anything else] Cheese

The stuffed food group...

Stuffed marrow
Stuffed heart
[anything else] stuffed

The barely food at all group...

Potato and cheese pie
Egg and bacon flan (school-cooked, dinner-lady dished)
Olive oil (only available from dodgy chemist shops until the 1960s)

Sorely missed but available at restaurants in the Gare du Nord, Paris...

Tripe

---

I looked up Rimaki on Wikipedia. Ohhh God. And we thought we had it bad in England.

Anonymous said...

Rumaki...truly an old favorite. I make it about once a year as it brings out dear memories of childhood holiday parties. Of course, I make mine with Kosher bacon.